What is the standard format for a completed manuscript?
Word Count for first time novelist:
- Erotica novellas/short story collections: 40,000-60,000 words
- Cozy mysteries only: 50,000-70,000 words
- Most romance novels: 50,000-70,000 words
- Short Story Collections: 40,000-75,000 words
- Historical Fiction: 80,000-140,000 words
- Adult Fantasy: 90,000-140,000 words
Margins: 1.0-1.25 inch margins all around.
According to this article, Courier New is also the screenwriting standard and shouts, "screenwriter-turned-wannabe-novelist!" Regardless, agents think novels are pure and deserve Times New Roman, so they're sticking with TNR unless otherwise directed by agents and editors. Or unless we're suddenly born-again (not likely any time soon).
Header: Your last name and "tag" title should be listed in the upper-left-hand corner on every page of your masterpiece. Ex: Steinbeck/Wrath
This article was so helpful for me--probably more so than other formatting articles I've read.